Project name: CashBack Positive Changes
Age range: 14 – 24 years
Number of Young People Project expects to work with: 270
A behavioural Change, Wellbeing and Inclusion Service for young people aged 12+ years who are at-risk of involvement in offending or anti-social behaviour, and/or future entry to the criminal justice system. Young people will present a range of complex needs/challenges. This is likely to include educational disengagement or exclusion, behavioural issues, risk-taking behaviour, family adversity, negative peer influences and a lack of positive role models.
The service comprises of 26-weeks (on average) of needs-led support. This includes a six-week group work programme delivered in school, community locations or Action for Children premises. The service comprises of:
Community-based Engagement (four-weeks): Each participant has a dedicated key worker, providing holistic 1:1 support and encouragement throughout their journey. Together they co-produce and jointly review a Personalised Support Plan of agreed goals/actions and outcomes.
Structured Programme (six-weeks): Bringing participants together to form pro-social peer networks. Staff deliver 3-4 interactive sessions weekly, focusing on Behavioural Change, Wellbeing, Core Skills and Inclusion.
- Behavioural Change – addressing negative attitudes and behaviour, whilst equipping participants with critical thinking skills to make more informed choices/changes in their lives.
- Wellbeing – structured activities include SQA Wellbeing Award Units and personal action planning to improve own wellbeing e.g. fitness plan
- Core Skills – essential skills for life, learning and work e.g. teamwork, problem solving, communication.
- Inclusion – improving awareness, access and linkages to community-based supports e.g. gym, volunteering.
Progression and Aftercare (16-weeks): Key workers provide ongoing support for participants to gain positive destinations (further education, training, volunteering, employment), with additional aftercare to support transition and ensure retention
Delivery Areas: We will focus on communities and schools within the most deprived SIMD areas (crime, multiple deprivation) in:
- Glasgow e.g. Carntyne and Haghill, Barlanark, Easterhouse, Ballieston, Springburn, Shettleston, Parkhead, Nitshill, Possil
- South Lanarkshire e.g. Burnhill and Bankhead North, Burnbank Central and Udston, Strutherhill, Westburn and Newton
- Edinburgh e.g. Muirhouse, Niddrie, Craigmillar, Gracemount, Southhouse and Burdiehouse, Moredun and Craigour.