Project name: Fit for Work through CashBack
Age range: 15 – 24 years
Number of Young People Project expects to work with: 300
An 8 week interactive and bespoke employability programme available in 8 local authority areas. It will provide intensive 1:1 mentoring and group work to those young people furthest from the work force (stages 1 and 2 of the employability pipeline), in particular for those most at risk of entering the justice system or living in areas of multiple deprivation and provide follow up support to sustain positive destinations. The project will include:-
- Engagement: Assertive outreach engagement. Young people will be assigned an employability mentor who will assess them and provide guidance to ensure a relationship is established that underpins the young person’s outcome progress. The mentor will provide consistent support throughout programme delivery.
- Health/Wellbeing fitness: Barnardo’s will deliver activities that improve young people’s mental/ physical health, e.g. Cycling, Creative Activities, and up to 15 hours community volunteering. Activities will link to employability skills e.g. team building. Outcomes achieved: young people will develop physical and personal skills; and their wellbeing is improved.
- Financial fitness: young people will be supported to better understand their personal finances to: maximise income, recognise the benefits of work, and how to budget for household costs; they can also achieve Personal Money Management award Outcomes achieved: Young people build their capacity and confidence.
- Fit to compete for work: bespoke employability activities to build young people’s soft, core and vocational skills, including: work tasters, CV/ interview techniques, exploring further education, employer visits and presentations. It will include recognised/ accredited award such as: Personal Development Award or Dynamic Youth Award.
- Graduation/ post-programme support: young people will have an award ceremony. Those progressing to positive destinations will be offered additional in-work support/ guidance. Those that do not will be offered aftercare employability support.
Areas where project will be delivered:
Aberdeen: Torry, Tillydrone, Woodside, Middlefield and Seaton
Dundee: Lochee and Dundee West Linlathen and Midcraigie , and Dundee West
Edinburgh: Moredun, Muirhouse, Clovenstone and Drumbryden
Highlands: Merkinch, Hilton, and Raigmore areas of Inverness
Renfrewshire: Johnstone North, Paisley North and in and around the Ferguslie area
North Ayrshire: Saltcoats Central, Ardrossan Central
Perth and Kinross: Central and South Inch, St Madoes and Balbeggie.
Moray: Forres, Buckie, New Elgin East, Ashgrove, Pinefield, Heldon West in Elgin
Children’s Rights and Wellbeing Impact Assessment
Please find a link here to Barnardo’s Children’s Rights and Wellbeing Impact Assessment (CRWIA) in respect of this CashBack for Communities project.