Project name: CashBack 180
Age range: 11 – 18 years
Number of Young People Project expects to work with: 300
Early support and prevention service for young people (11-18) involved in offending, antisocial or risky/self-harming behaviours. 12-week programmes delivered with mixed or single-sex groups as well as 1:1 support as appropriate. The project will grow:
- Confidence & resilience: Consistent, trusting relationships with young people result in increased numbers accessing 180 and other supports. Positive diversionary activities, trips and residential opportunities are planned with participants to encourage them trying something new, uncovering skills and interests.
- Physical & personal skills: Participatory workshops and physical activities work on team building, communication and problem solving. Support is provided to make changes, recognize options, enjoy healthy relationships, gain transferable skills and move toward positive futures.
- Health & Wellbeing: Through interlinked services participants access the support they need at their own pace. Engagement with informal educational activities builds self-esteem, promoting wellbeing and self-efficacy. Issue-based workshops and diversionary physical activities provide alternative tools for coping with problems and managing feelings.
- Employability: Programme participants gain certificates upon completion and have the option to undertake accredited youth achievement awards including Dynamic Youth and Saltire Awards. Leadership and peer mentoring opportunities are promoted.
- Community connection: Sense of place is enhanced through participation in positive activities. Increased engagement with and enjoyment of, volunteering and leadership experiences within the community helps break down barriers and challenge stereotyped views and perceptions.
- Diversion from criminal/anti-social behaviour: Intervention, prevention and diversionary youth work methods cover themes such as alcohol and drug awareness, personal safety, sexual health, victim empathy, rights and responsibilities, first aid and causes and consequences of crime.
Areas where the project will be delivered
Midlothian: Mayfield, Easthouses, Woodburn, Dalkeith, Bonnyrigg, Gorebridge, Penicuik