Off the Bench’ is a 16-week programme for 18-24-year-olds who have committed, or are considered likely to commit offences or engage in anti-social behaviour, particularly, but not limited to offences in and around football matches in Scotland.
Sessions, which will take place at each of the participating clubs, will be delivered by their associated community trust.
Participating in Cashback Off the Bench are:
- Dundee FC – Dundee FC Community Trust (Wednesday)
- Heart of Midlothian FC – Big Hearts Community Trust (Wednesday)
- Falkirk FC – Falkirk FC Community Trust (Wednesday)
- Motherwell FC – Motherwell FC Community Trust (Friday)
- St Mirren – St Mirren FC Community Trust (Tuesday)
The programme will focus on education, physical health, and mental health as a prevention from anti-social behaviour and will be delivered by the Community Trusts and key external partners. These include: Police Scotland, Scottish Fire and Rescue Service, The Scottish FA, Show Racism the Red Card, Skills Development Scotland, SAMH and other local organisations who will focus on sectarianism, flares/pyrotechnics, anti-social behaviour, homophobia, organised violence, racism, drugs & alcohol, laws of the game and positive destinations.
Young people, aged 18-24, will work towards:
• Three different SQA certificates to help with employability
• Scottish FA coaching badges delivered by qualified Scottish FA coaches
• Saltire Award, through a community volunteering project
There will be an additional opportunity to join the Scottish FA’s Volunteer Inspire Programme. On completion of the programme and with suitable behaviour, participants will be offered the chance to volunteer for ‘their’ club. This programme has been designed to enable young people to build a better path, going forward.
Cohort 1 is scheduled to commence Spring 2021, with Cohorts 2 and 3 are scheduled for 2022
Public agencies and third sector charities are welcome to refer young people to CashBack Off the Bench. All referrals must be submitted by an organisation as self-referral is not possible for the young person.
For more details or to make a referral please see SPFL Trust | Cashback Off the Bench