Scottish Government have announced that up to £20 million in crime proceeds will be committed to support the delivery of community projects. The latest round of CashBack for Communities funding opens today, on 20th June.
Community projects are set to receive CashBack funding over the next three years to continue supporting young people and communities most affected by crime under the latest phase of funding (Phase 6). CashBack Phase 6 will run from 1st April 2023 to 31st March 2026.
Since the programme began in 2008, CashBack for Communities has taken funds recovered through the Proceeds of Crime Act and provided crucial support to around 1.3 million young people across all local authorities.
Further information on Phase 6 available here www.cashbackforcommunities.org/phase6.
Update: Applications to the CashBack for Communities 2023-2026 Fund closed on Friday 12 August 2022.
CashBack for Communities is a Scottish Government programme which takes funds recovered from the proceeds of crime and invests them into free activities and programmes across Scotland, largely, but not exclusively, for young people. CashBack has funded a wide variety of projects over the past 14 years including sports, arts, youth work and employability which provide extensive opportunities to raise the ambition and aspirations of young people.
CashBack for Communities supports the Scottish Government’s Vision For Justice, helping to build a just, safe and resilient Scotland. The fund focuses on young people at risk of entering the criminal justice system and the communities most affected by crime. The latest phase of funding will guide those most at risk of being impacted by crime, to more positive destinations while also helping young people to improve their physical and mental health.
CashBack Phase 6 will deliver a range of trauma-informed and person-centred services and activities for young people between the ages of 10-25 that:
- Support young people most at risk of being involved in antisocial behaviour offending or reoffending towards or into positive destinations
- Provide person-centred support for young people, parents and families impacted by Adverse Childhood Experiences and trauma
- Support young people to improve their health, mental health and wellbeing
- Support people, families and communities most affected by crime
Justice Secretary Keith Brown said:
Young people growing up in Scotland deserve to have an equal chance of success, no matter their background or circumstances and CashBack plays an important role in providing young people with the tools they need to reach their full potential.
The valuable feedback from young people who have benefitted from the programme helped inform this latest round of funding. Participants reported that improving their mental health and wellbeing was a key priority for them due to the effects of the Covid-19 pandemic, which also links to our Vision for Justice in Scotland.
This funding of up to £20 million will deliver a range of activities for young people between the ages of 10-25 and boosts the total funding made available to almost £130 million since the Programme began in 2008.
Who can apply?
Applications are sought from incorporated organisations with a proven track record, for:
- Projects lasting at least 2 years, between April 1st 2023 and March 31st 2026
- Applications of at least £150,000
- Capital expenditure is available – to 10% of project funding.
The fund is not open to local authorities, or schools or colleges receiving statutory funds.
Full application requirements will be detailed in guidance documentation to be launched shortly, at www.cashbackforcommunities.org/phase6
The key dates for applicants to Phase 6 of CashBack for Communities are :
- 15th June – Phase 6 application guidance documentation available; and registration opens for online information sessions
- 20th June – Phase 6 online application form available
- 22nd June – first online information session (this will be recorded and made available)
- 30th June – second online information session (same content as above)
- 12th August – closing deadline for applications at 12:00 noon
Please see our Phase 6 information page for further information.
Thinking of applying?
Familiarise yourself with the work of CashBack and our amazing partners. Click the link here to take you to our current partners pages – Partners Page
To see the impact of CashBack partners in each of the 32 Scottish local authorities and the benefits to communities across Scotland, please click the link here – Impact Page